Friday, October 7, 2011

Easy Fabric Covered Button Hair Tie

My least favorite day of the year is slowing approaching.... when the sun sets today, no food or drinks will be allowed until the sun sets again tomorrow night. Anyone else out there following this tradition for Yom Kippur? It's so horrible! Anyway, I have the next 24 hours planned so I can be "distracted!" Meanwhile, I want to show you something I made today.

Remember the cute dress for a little girl I finished yesterday? I decided to make the recipient matching hair ties so she can wear them with the dress. I think she will be one very happy girl sporting off her lovely dress and pony tails?


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

These were so easy to make! I put together an easy fabric covered button tutorial for you. 

STEP ONE
 
Gather your supplies: fabric scrap, hair tie (duh!), scissor, marker, and upholstery cover buttons. I got mine from JoAnn's fabric. They are cheap, about $4 a pack. Each packet contains the following four tools (shown below) that you will need to make fabric covered buttons. I don't know what these four things are called, so I will just refer to them as tool "A," "B," "C," or "D."

STEP TWO
Use your marker and trace a circle twice the diameter of tool C. This is when you want to think about which part of the fabric you want to cut out for the button.

STEP THREE
Cut the fabric, and place the fabric right side down, over the white mold (tool A). Then, press tool C into tool A (the white mold) with tool B (the blue cap); see picture below. 

STEP FOUR
Remove tool B (the blue cap), this is what it should look like. 

STEP FIVE
Place tool C (the flat metal thing) into the white mold, and use tool B (the blue cap) again to push everything together; it helps if you place everything flat on the table (see image below).

STEP SIX
 Simply remove tool B (the blue cap) and press the bottom of tool A (the white mold) to remove your finished button. 

That's it! These are addicting, I think I may have to make a few more. 

2 comments:

Alli said...

I love making fabric covered buttons! I hope Yom Kippur flies by for you. :)

Marisa said...

Super cute tutorial! If you need a distraction let me know and I'll have the boys stop by to entertain you! Xoxo