Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sewing Door Stoppers

You know how sometimes doors make these squeaky noises? Well, some of the doors in our house were doing that. So my husband decided to oil them up, but I guess he over did it. And since then, those doors just would not stay open! I used my books as temporary door stoppers, but hated the way they looked. Well, not anymore! I designed these door stoppers, and they are just so adorable to look at.

Simple door stoppers filled with nasty brown rice that I no longer wanted. 

Door stopper in action!

I looked everywhere online for inspiration but there is nothing out there on making door stoppers! Hm... I wonder why?! *LOL* So anyways, I created a simple tutorial for you in case you are interested. If you do make one, I would love to see a photo of it. Enjoy!

:: Sewing Simple Door Stopper Tutorial ::

Step One: Cut two 6"x6" squares from two different fabrics.

Step Two: Sew three edges and leave one side open. 

Step Three: Turn it inside out.

Step Four: Fill it with 1 and 1/2 cup of rice.

 Step Five: Sew and close the one side that was left open.

Step Six:  
Fold down the two ears on each side and stitch them down. 
Repeat for the other side. Add a decorative button, and you are all done!

10 comments:

Maryse said...

The most adorable door stopper ever! When other people will start to make them, you will become famous ;-) Great idea!

Audry said...

I'm impressed. That is such a clever idea. And such cute little door stoppers. Maybe the next one can be themed. Like a red apple with a little green leaf button or something.

Anonymous said...

Really nice!!! So creative.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

these are soooo cute! And a great use of old brown rice LOL

Ekaterina Dyachenko said...

It is an interesting finding!

Grandma G said...

What a cute idea!

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with this and just made one but it is a disaster! I cannot get it to make a square shape at all. So disappointed : (

Anonymous said...

Missing step: you need to “box” the corners after sewing the three sides together. Then when you turn the fabric right side out and fill with rice it will be a square shape.

amanda joseph said...

Textile Door stopper supplier

Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining box the corners!