Monday, March 26, 2012

Quilted Kitchen Floor Mat

What a crazy busy week it has been; however, as we all know, that never stops me from doing things that I enjoy. Today, I am excited to show you a beautiful floor mat I made for my kitchen over the weekend. I dropped one of those narrow and tall olive oil bottles last week. It was pretty traumatic. I had just filled up the bottle all the way to the top the night before I knocked it over. The bottle shattered into a million tiny pieces and the olive oil was all over my nice jeans, counter top, white cabinet door, hardwood floor and an ugly black floor mat ($8 from Home Depot!). I used almost an entire roll of paper towel to clean up this mess. Needless to say, I tossed out the floor mat with olive oil all over it and was convinced that it was time to make a nice quilt for us to step on! *sarcasm*


I have been eying Robert Kaufman's Treasures & Tidbits collection and knew this would make the perfect floor mat. I selected seven green and orange fabrics to match my kitchen. What do you think!?

Ah! Go ahead! Go step on your quilt; it feels amazing!

MATERIALS:
- Seven different 1/8 1/6 yard cut of fabrics for the top
- About one yard of fabric for the back
- About 1/3 yard of fabric as binding
- Fleece
- Non-slip drawer lining to go under the mat so it won't slip

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Prewash all fabrics. This is a must if you want to machine wash this floor mat!

2. Cut the 1/8 1/6 yard of fabrics into thirty-five 5.5" x 5.5" squares.

3. Assemble the 5.5" x 5.5" squares into a quilt, with 1/4" seam allowance, that measures 35" x 30" when finished (seven squares across and five squares down).

4. Quilt them using fleece as it holds up better than cotton.

5. Before you bind this off, create four corners so you can tuck the "non-slip" drawer lining into each corner. This will allow me to remove the liner when this mat needs to be washed.

6. Bind off, and that's it! I used a 2" strip for the binding; I wish I made it a bit wider. I think I will use 2.5" to 3" strip next time.

I cut up two pieces of non-slip drawer liners and taped them together. They work so well!

Happiness is stepping on my beautiful quilt and looking at it every time I walk by my kitchen!

Yes, it's official. My husband thinks I am crazy for spending the time and money on this. But he agrees that this looks fantastic in our kitchen. Now he wants to me to make matching chair cushions, placemats, potholders, etc. I know how I plan to use up my scrap fabrics from this collection!





Fresh Poppy Design

26 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! AND you matched it to your kitchen, good thinking.

cinzia said...

Lovely! I love your kitchen. P.S. You are receiving an award today. Hop over to my blog to see!

Katie said...

Gorgeous! I'm so in love with your Wolf range! I'm currently trying to talk my husband into one!

Kristen Rettig said...

It's beautiful, and I guess it's no less practical than hooking a rug or a needlepoint one! Your kitchen looks so pretty, the little bit I could see, maybe it's time for a blog house tour?!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic looking mat, and so glad to hear it is non-slip too!!! Goes so perfectly in your house.
S

Quiltstory said...

Okay holy darling-ness!!! LOVE this!!!! I want to make one this instant!! :) Fabulous idea.

I was unable to fix the picture too...? I don't know what the deal is. Do you want to try to link it again? Sorry for the problem, I don't know why it happens sometimes!

Maryse said...

The colors are amazing! You are so fancy! I don't think I would want to spill anything on it ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh my word, this is such a great idea! I will definitely be making one. Thanks for the tut :-)

Kylie said...

This is so gorgeous! But oh I would be so cranky if anyone dared spill something on it!! Maybe I need to relax a bit more!!

Toni said...

What do I think? I think I want your kitchen! That mat looks so great in there, especially in front of that beautiful stove. You've used my two favorite colors so of course I love it. And the corners on back to hold the liner are genius! As soon as my kids are old enough to quit carrying away all my rugs I'll definitely be trying this!

LisaAnn said...

Love the colors! What a great mat!

Kelsey said...

This is adorable!!! I love this and your kitchen :) I have to make one!

Sarah said...

Awesome idea!!! Will definitely be making one of these!

Kate Brown said...

Brilliant idea with the backing! I will definately be trying one of these, I love it and you only live once so surround yourself with what you love and makes you happy. :)

Holly said...

I saw this on QuiltStory and had to hop over to compliment you! It looks great in your kitchen and I absolutely love the corners on the back that hold the non-slip backing. How clever!

Christine said...

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's fabulous!!!!

Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!

Patti said...

Love this idea! in fact, I love it so much, I'm making a runner for our hallway using yours as a guide :)

Bea said...

Thanks for this great idea. I will make one for our bathroom, I think!
Happy quilting
Bea, Germany

Truffle queen said...

Very cute! Great tutorial! I wonder how clean mine would stay when my husband comes in from outside and goes straight to the kitchen for a drink of water - especially with his size 13s! But just toss it in the washer! No different than a rag rug!!

Annmarie said...

That is such a GREAT idea - thanks for sharing.

JoAnne in southern California said...

This is absolutely delightful! I don't like the little rugs I have in my kitchen. Next week I'll have pretty new ones, thanks to your tutorial. We just remodeled a bathroom, I'll make one for it too. An easy to wash "rug"! Thank you!

Anna Joy said...

This is so great! Making one for myself soon! :)

Sophie Heinicke said...

I would love to see an overview of your kitchen. :D The mat must be the center of attention. Hehe. I just thought it serves as the centerpiece of your kitchen. I also think it is practically smart. It is a good protector for your flooring since it is in front of the oven, and you just can’t avoid dropping very hot food, fresh from the oven. :D

Sophie Heinicke

Guy Mccardle said...

That's lovely, Susan. I like how you made that personal kitchen floor mat; it seems to me that you exerted extra effort in making that one. Kudos to you for that! Anyway, it certainly made your kitchen livelier with that design. :)

Elinor Haswell said...

Putting up some colorful stuff on your kitchen will add to its lively appeal. It also provides an uplifting mood that will make preparing and cooking meals more enjoyable. That also saves your floor from messy spills which sometimes lead to floor stains. I guess it’s time for me to share this to my friend’s boring kitchen, LOL!

thepecanlady said...

Love the mat! Great colors!
I must make one!
Katherine