I have been eying Robert Kaufman's Treasures & Tidbits collection and knew this would make the perfect floor mat. I selected seven green and orange fabrics to match my kitchen. What do you think!?
Ah! Go ahead! Go step on your quilt; it feels amazing!
- Seven different
- About one yard of fabric for the back
- About 1/3 yard of fabric as binding
- Non-slip drawer lining to go under the mat so it won't slip
1. Prewash all fabrics. This is a must if you want to machine wash this floor mat!
2. Cut the
3. Assemble the 5.5" x 5.5" squares into a quilt, with 1/4" seam allowance, that measures 35" x 30" when finished (seven squares across and five squares down).
4. Quilt them using fleece as it holds up better than cotton.
5. Before you bind this off, create four corners so you can tuck the "non-slip" drawer lining into each corner. This will allow me to remove the liner when this mat needs to be washed.
6. Bind off, and that's it! I used a 2" strip for the binding; I wish I made it a bit wider. I think I will use 2.5" to 3" strip next time.
I cut up two pieces of non-slip drawer liners and taped them together. They work so well!
Happiness is stepping on my beautiful quilt and looking at it every time I walk by my kitchen!
Yes, it's official. My husband thinks I am crazy for spending the time and money on this. But he agrees that this looks fantastic in our kitchen. Now he wants to me to make matching chair cushions, placemats, potholders, etc. I know how I plan to use up my scrap fabrics from this collection!