Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Me + Betsy Ross

I hope everyone had a great long weekend. It was Memorial Day in the US for us. My husband and I traveled to Philadelphia and had some really delicious cheesecake. We did the standard touristy stuff, but the highlight for me was visiting Betsy Ross' house! I knew that quilting was big in PA, but I had no idea that I would get to tour Betsy Ross' house! She hand quilted the first American flag for George Washington.

Here is a picture of Betsy's sewing center. Of course, this is not the real Betsy. 

Betsy's home was forcible shared with British soliders, so she had to quilt this flag when no one was looking. If caught, she could be charged with treason! 

We also tried to stop by a great yarn store right next to a quilting shop, but they were closed for Memorial Day.... so disappointing!

No comments: