Monday, July 30, 2012

Hand Quilting Tiny Japanese Squares

I was itching to do some hand sewing, and my stashes of tiny 2"x2" Japanese Daiwabo Fabrics were the perfect fix. I had no idea what I was going to make with these pieces, but just started piecing them away by hand. It was pretty hard for me to manage the storage all these little pieces, but I came across this French inspired wooden box at a local store nearby. This box is a perfect way to store all these pieces.

Love this little wooden box. 

I referred to Yoko Saito's Patchwork Lesson on how best to piece these pieces together. This is a wonderful book with so many tips on quilting. If you don't have a copy of it, I highly recommend it.

Loving piecing these little 2"x2" squares by hand. 

I decided to combine all these triangles into a mat that measures approximately 9"x9". This color palette goes very well with my hard hardwood floor and furniture. My orchids are resting comfortablely on it.

The texture of hand quilted pieces is amazing.

By the way, I splurged and finally purchased a Hinterberg Quilting Hoop and Floor Stand. The hoop I purchased is 18", and I also ordered a half hoop adapter. I can't wait to try that out. I see more hand quilting in my near future.

2 comments:

Kristen Rettig said...

The colors are beautiful. I also love hand quilting and think you will love your hoop. It's so nice to have the right tools.

Maryse said...

The final effect is very nice! Beautiful!