Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mom's Quilt - All Finished!

Today was a very good day, I spent most of the day finishing off a quilt that I started last November. The fabric bundle was purchased from PIQF last year in October. I completed the top layer shortly after the purchase, but the decision to hand quilt something this large intimidated me. It also wasn't easy to find a table large enough to allow me to sandwich the quilt, but thank goodness for a local quilt shop. Not sure why, but it just took me a long time to finish hand quilting this. Today, I show you my completed quilt!

Queen Size Bed Quilt

Pattern: Stepping Up by Tracey Brookshier
Fabric Used: 2222 Bee Knees
Finished Size: 75" x 60" 

This is the biggest quilt that I have ever made, the binding strip itself was about 300" long! Here is good video tutorial on how to bind a quilt.

Wrapped the binding around a spool of thread to keep it under control. 

My dog is definitely enjoying this new quilt!

This new quilt is on my mom's bed as we speak; we "sampled' it by snuggling together under this quilt earlier today. I hope my mom enjoys it so much as I enjoyed making it for her :) 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful, I'm sure she will love it!

Jennifer said...

All that hard work looks like it paid off!

Alli said...

Whoah, you hand quilted a queen size quilt? Amazing! I love that you both snuggled under it. :):)

Marisa said...

Wow, I love the primary colors. Do I get to see it in person? It's awesome!!!!!

cinzia said...

it looks great, susan! a very ambitious size too! lucky mom!

Maryse said...

I didn't know you were making a quilt! And a big one! It looks beautiful! Your dog is cute too!!!