Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Update

I have about ten days off from work this holiday season, and I purposely didn't plan anything this time around. I want to relax, enjoy my house, spend time with my family, knit, sew, visit local coffee shops, and do things I like. It's the little things in life that make me so happy. Here is a quick update on my vacation so far.

I visited a local nursery and bought supplies to re-pot some of my plants. I transferred this plant from a tiny little pot into this bright yellow pot. Look at how much my plant has grown! There are so many buds and they are blooming!

These pots are bio-degradable. 

My orchid is also coming back to life. My mom bought me this orchid last winter, and I have just been watering these two "sticks." It's finally budding!

Yay!

I made some Aloha shirts using Hawaii fabric I purchased from my recent trip to Maui. I used Beyond the Reef Aloha Shirts pattern that I purchased from the same visit. I made these shirts smaller than what the pattern called for so I can turn them into magnets. I saw these magnets at the quilt shop and immediately knew I had to make them. 

Quilt shop's version.

My version; not sure I like the look with the white buttons.

My husband and I also went to the bowling alley, watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (really intense, I liked it), and went on lots of dinner dates :) 

By the way, my "things I want to make" list continues to grow, and it's stressing me out! LOL

I am looking forward to celebrating the start of 2012. I hope you are enjoying this special time of the year as well.

3 comments:

Maryse said...

I wish I would live in a humid climat to keep cactus... Mine always do well until the dry winter months... I too am taking it easy from today until January 1. I saw all my family for Christmas and now it's "me" time! I look forward to seeing your creations in 2012! The little magnets are super cute!

Anita said...

My Christmas cactus doesn't bloom anymore. I just recently read that repotting it might help. We've had a relaxing Christmas this year too. Sounds like you having been making the most of your free time! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Love the magnets! Glad you were so patient and your orchid bloomed for you again. It is so wonderful to see your talent and excitement in making beautiful things. You have a lifetime to get to all those great projects. S