Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Matching Pouches

I wanted to make a matching pouch to go with the bag I made awhile back with the Go Anywhere Bag pattern. Pouches are a great way to use up scrap fabric. I had just enough extra fabric for these pouches.

After doing some research online, I decided on this popular dumpling pouch. It's quite cute and looked very simple. However, I must say I am not a fan of this pouch. It doesn't hold up very well, and when it's open, things fell out of this pouch easily. Also, because there are no ears on each side of this pouch, you really can't hold on to anything to zip or unzip it. I usually purchase my zippers from Jo-Ann, and these zippers are usually great, but not for this pouch. I had a very hard time opening and closing this pouch. I think the curve of this pouch made the zipper very difficult to slide up and down. I even waxed it! Who waxes zippers!?!?

Not bad!

So of course, I decided to put this one aside and make another one using this tutorial. I have used this tutorial many times in the past and highly recommend it. Except this time I decided to modify it a bit  so it's slightly bigger for my mom to store a few more things in it. I used the same zipper here, and it's no problem! Lesson learned: buy a nice zipper when the shape is curvy!

Same fabric but with a pink zipper. It's so feminine... I love it!

So cute together! I gave both of them to my mom so she can decide which one to use.

I splurged tonight and bought some super nice fabrics from Japan. I cannot wait to have these fabrics in my hand! This purchase inspired me to organize my existing fabrics and look at what I "discovered!"

 So dreamy...

I had these fabrics already all cut up into 6"x6" squares! Can someone tell me why they have been put away all these years!? I didn't have a rotatory cutter back then and used a scissor to cut them up at the time. It is fun to look at all these unevenly cut squares :) 

Hope you are having a great week so far.

No comments: