Sunday, March 4, 2012

Citron All Done

I started the Citron shawl last Sunday and got around to finishing it last night. I washed it, blocked it, and it was all dried and ready for me to sport it off by this morning! I really enjoy making these shawls; they are simple, fun and are perfect for Spring! I especially love shawls with a ruffle edge. This was my first time working with Malabrigo sock yarn, and this may be my new favorite yarn. I love the way it feels after I wash it, and it dried up super fast!

Hand washing it with lavendar Eucalan.

The yarn I got can be washed by washing machine, but I just needed a quick rinse to block it so hand washing will do. Have you tried Eucalan? It's my favorite soap for all my handmade knitwear. The lavender scent is lovely and the soap comes off so easily. I don't even need to rinse it out. You can get this product from your LYS.

I decided to feature our avocado tree this time.

Our growing avocado tree yielded us four avocados last year. I can't wait for this tree to keep growing. I love avocados! I really enjoyed seeing the yarn change colors, it was addicting. 

The size of this shawl is perfect; not too big, not too small. 

I did a test swatch before I started to determine the proper gauge. I used US size 2 for this sock yarn; everyone else used size 6 for the same yarn! I was very concerned at first, but I am glad I trusted my gauge and went with it. Gauge used: 24 sts/36 rows = 4” in stockinette stitch. See tips for this project on my Ravelry page.



Here I am holding and reading my newest book shipped to me by a great friend of mine all the way from Taiwan. Remember Jane from two weeks ago? That doll was made from book two written by a Chinese instructor. However, I really wanted books one and three. A friend of mine actually went to the store located in Taiwan, hunted down the author of the book, asked him a million questions that I had, purchased his books and additional supplies I need to create these dolls, and then shipped them to me. 

I enjoyed a late breakfast and great weather with my husband reading these great books :) Thank goodness for weekends!

7 comments:

Maryse said...

I've always loved this pattern and yours is absolutely lovely! I can't believe the wonderful weather that you have already! I would love to have an avocado tree in my backyard but I think it would not like our winters! Lovely pics!

Karen said...

Beautiful shawl, Sue. I love that you swatched and trusted yourself! And the avocadoes, I'm jealous. I LOVE avocadoes but they don't grow in Colorado :( Sounds like you have a great friend in Taiwan; that's cool that you got a bunch of questions answered direct from the source!

karen said...

You did such a lovely job on the citron :) beautiful yarn and the ruffly edge makes it perfect!!

Unknown said...

It turned out beautiful! You are so fast!!

Jennifer said...

Absolutely beautiful and I love the yarn. I will have to get some!

Alli said...

Ooh, your shawl looks fantastic! :)

Four avocados sounds perfect -- my mom's neighbor walks up and down the street trying to give away avocados because his tree makes too many. :D

Anonymous said...

Love your shawls and they look SO great on you!!!
S